About OWCP Form CA-5
The OWCP Form CA-5, titled “Claim for Compensation by Widow, Widower, and/or Children,” is used to file for benefits under the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA) when a federal worker dies due to a work-related injury or illness. Here’s what I can tell you about it:
Who can file:
- Spouses (widow or widower) of deceased federal employees who were married at the time of death.
- Biological children of the deceased employee who are unmarried and under the age of 18 or are disabled.
- Legally adopted children of the deceased employee under the same conditions as biological children.
- Stepchildren who were living with the deceased employee and dependent upon them for support at the time of death, under certain conditions.
What the form covers:
- Compensation payments to eligible survivors based on the deceased employee’s earnings at the time of death.
- Funeral expenses up to a specific limit.
- Dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC) for certain surviving spouses and children who meet the eligibility requirements.
Where to get the form:
- You can download the form from the U.S. Department of Labor website: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/owcp/FECA/regs/compliance/forms
- You can also request a copy by calling the OWCP at 1-800-840-1566.
How to file the claim:
- Complete the form and gather all required supporting documentation, such as the death certificate, marriage certificate, birth certificates for children, and proof of dependency.
- Mail the completed form and supporting documentation to the OWCP office that serves your area. You can find the address on the OWCP website or by calling the OWCP.
- Medical weight loss semaglutide, GLP-1, AOD 9604, tirzepatide & more
Additional things to know:
- There are deadlines for filing a claim for benefits under the FECA. You can find more information about deadlines on the OWCP website.
- An attorney is not required to file a claim, but you may want to consult with one if you have questions or need assistance.
- The OWCP website has a wealth of information about benefits for survivors of federal employees, including the claims process, eligibility requirements, and benefit amounts. You can find more information here: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/owcp